If you’re in a work-related accident, you should be entitled to workers comp. Once you report your injury to human resources, it’s their responsibility to submit your worker’s comp claim. In most cases, your claim will be approved, and you’ll receive your benefits in a few weeks. However, if your claim is denied, you won’t receive your benefits at all. Your claim can be denied for many reasons. Some of these include:
- The insurance company doesn’t believe you were injured
- The injury didn’t take place at work
- You were intoxicated or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident
- You didn’t file your claim properly
The first thing to do if your claim is denied is contact an Albany workers comp lawyer. He can help you file your claim. In order to have your claim reviewed, you need to request a worker’s comp hearing. One mistake people make is they assume this hearing will automatically be scheduled by the court. This is not the case. If you fail to request your hearing in a timely fashion, your claim may be forever barred.
Will I Need to Attend a Hearing?
If your worker’s comp claim is denied, you will to attend a hearing. At the hearing, the court will determine a few things:
- Were you actually hurt?
- Were you hurt while performing your job and not while doing something else?
- Do your injuries prevent you from doing your job?
- Did you have any pre-existing conditions?
- Did you submit the correct earnings information?
After the hearing, an administrative judge will decide if your claim should be approved. If it’s approved, you can expect to receive your worker’s comp benefits within a few weeks. If it is not approved, your worker’s comp attorney will have to take further legal action. If you fail to request a hearing, your claim will be denied and you will not receive benefits.
A Workers Compensation Lawyer Can Help
Experienced workers compensation lawyers have handled dozens of these hearings. He knows how to request the hearing. He also knows what evidence you will need to submit to prove your claim. He’ll do what it takes to get your claim approved. Some of the evidence your lawyer will have to present include:
- Proof of wages
- Statements or affidavits from co-workers and management about how the injury occurred
- Medical records and reports from doctors
- Proof that equipment/materials were faulty or dangerous
- Proof that you are not able to work
- Proof that you were working within the scope of your employment at the time of the injury
You don’t want to handle your worker’s comp hearing alone. If you don’t follow the proper procedures, you risk your claim being denied permanently. An experienced workers comp lawyer is an expert at these hearings. Trust in him to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Workers Comp Attorney in Albany, Georgia
If you’re hurt in a work-related accident, you are entitled to receive workers comp benefits. If your claim is denied, you should contact a worker’s comp attorney in Albany, Georgia. Your lawyer will help you file your appeal. He will do whatever he can to get you the benefits to which you are entitled.
Contact a worker’s comp attorney today to schedule your free initial consultation. Make sure you have all your information together for your worker’s comp hearing. The insurance company has attorneys working for them. You need to have one working for you!